Thursday, October 15, 2009

Update

This past week has been kind of a blur... so I am going to try and combine everything that happened in one blog and spare the boring details lol. Friday after school I went to a dinner for my internship. We got to meet with the head of Streetwise and he asked us how all of our internships were going... we told him about the challenges and he offered suggestions, they might even try to find another working computer for my school or at least someone who fixes computers so that is really exciting. The dinner was on campus at the guest house... the food was ok- i had french fries :) on campus that night there was an outdoor church service... its really hard to even describe the magnitude of the church service... the entire main lawn was covered in chairs and there were 6-7 tour busses all for this one preacher that apparently travels around Ghana and is some sort of a celebrity... he had body guards on stage with him... which is weird because someone of the cloth should let god protect him and shouldnt be afraid to die in my opinion...?? anyway there was a massive amount of students there and it was an all night healing thing- when we walked by to go to the dinner there was groups of students all screaming in tounges- really weird but interesting to see. Friday night a couple of us watched a movie and then went to sleep. Saturday morning I woke up early to go to the second hand clothing market- I was in dire need of some retail therapy after my break up :( So I went to go find some nice shoes and look for jerseys. basically when people in the US donate their old clothing it gets shipped here and people buy it for really cheap and then sell it in the market. I didnt end up buying anything because it was all way more expensive then I had imagined. I talked a lady down on a pair of shoes to 30 cedi... but they totally not worth it and probably cheaper at the mall in Accra so I didnt get them. I didnt find any jerseys that I loved either so I am going to go to Osu for those. After the market I had lunch- I tried Kenke (ground up corn?) for the first time with some spicy salsa and totally loved it- I crave it all the time now. I also tried some cocoa porridge and fried bean paste in the morning for breakfast but it was too spicy- im used to sweet things in the morning. Sunday we watched the football game- ghana lost but they are still qualified for the world cup so its no biggie ;) The weekdays flew by- Monday and tuesday were normal... nothing new... except in the evenings I was studying for the midterm that we had on wednesday... I studies pretty much all wednesday morning too. Im pretty sure that I got 100% on it so thats good :) I cant wait to get my grade back! Now I just have Egypt to look forward to! I got the okay from my internship that I could have all the days off- so now Im just chilling until Saturday at 11 PM when my flight leaves. I think that today I am going to go to the pool for a while and then bake something... but we will see lol. I wont be able to update while I'm in Egypt... but I will as soon as I come back on the 27th. Miss everyone a ton!

Other random observations:
*I don't know if I have mentioned this one before but there is a Muslim call to prayer that plays all throughout the city of Accra when it is time for the muslims to pray. It sounds like a man singing in Arabic over a loud speaker that the whole city can hear... I think it happens three times a day. I love hearing it theres something really soothing about it. I will try to get it on tape and upload it so that everyone can hear it.
*Ive started to love drinking tea... weird I know.
*I saw a resume for someone applying to a job and part of the resume had what church the person belonged to and the name of the pastor along with an attendance record of how many times the person had missed church. This is apparently very common- and I think really interesting. Something else that is interesting is that all of the business names are like God's Grace Sewing or Blessed Jesus Hair Salon- its also really interesting.

4 comments:

  1. Beth-
    Have a great time in Egypt!!! We'll be thinking pleasant, happy trip thoughts for you!!!!!

    Glad you're doing good in the schoolwork!
    Keep up the good work!!

    We all LOVE YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a blast in Egypt!! We will be waiting patiently to hear all about it.. Be safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Safe Travels to you all!! I will pray for you safety !! Take lots of picts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just remember-Shit happens for a reason . It might not make any sense to you now, but someday it will! It is pretty SHITTY it had to happen while you were in another part of the world! What is up with that? LIFE IS NOT ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS, IT'S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN! SO DANCE BABY,DANCE I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete