Thursday, October 1, 2009

updates :)

Sunday night was pretty fun. When I went home from the olympics all of my roomates were still in their pajamas... they hadnt done anything al day! Im so lucky to have cool people that I work with to take me out to do fun stuff... otherwise I would def be going stir crazy lol! I got invited to go to a house party for someone who was going off to study abroad. Even though I was totally exhausted and had to work early the next morning I decided to go and I am so glad that I did. I had a blast! The music was blaring and everyone was having such a good time partying and dancing, I met a ton of really cool people- totally worth it!
Monday- I didnt exactly know what i was going to be doing at school and the headmisstress wasnt around so I just chilled until she got there. Then she told me that I was going to be helping out the ICT teacher and also helping in the library. ICT is information and communication technology (computer). I was really impressed when I walked into the computer lab. There were about 30 older looking mismatched computers in the lab- which is more than I expected. Little did I know that only one of them actually works so all of the kids share one computer. I basically just shadowed the teacher and watched him break the class down into groups so that everyone could have a turn on the computer. It basically takes a whole week to teach the class something like Microsoft Paint- its really frustrating but I'm doing the best that I can. Monday after class there was a meeting with all the teachers. I'm pretty sure that half of the people at the school think that I am a real, paid, full time teacher because they give me all of the responsibilities of a teacher. They have student supervisors each week that are in charge of the students in the morning (to make sure that they sweep out all of the classrooms and get to the morning prayer assembly on time) and then afternoon ones that make sure that stuff is cleaned and locked up and that the students are back in their rooms. Now I'm on the list for teachers who do that so my duties start next week... i'm on the morning shift so I have to get there an hour earlier than I already do... that means waking up at 4am- im not looking forward to that lol. At the meeting they also talked about teacher salaries. One of the teachers told me that he makes about 250 cedis ($180) a month... he spends 40 a month on transportation alone... I have no idea how they are surviving on these salaries! No idea at all! After the meeting I got home pretty late because of traffic and the dinner group was already making tacos (homeade tortillas and salsa omg so tasty) and then after dinner I went straight to bed because I was totally exhausted!
Tuesday at school was basically the same thing- not really much to report. I watched the teacher and helped with the class... then went home and hung out with the roomates before heading to bed- pretty boring all together
Wednesday- Woke up and had class in the morning which was not as boring as usual but still pretty bad lol. Then used the internet for a while before heading out to buy everything for my dinner group to make dinner. We decided to have sweet and sour stir fry. So we bought all the veggies and the sauce and everything between classes. Then we had our next class which we talked about the economy of Ghana and the problems with the various leaders that its had over the years... I though it was really interesting so I didnt mind that class at all. After class my dinner group started cooking. I cut up all the veggies and stuff while the other girls dealt with the chicken, and I also made a chocolate cake from scratch with frosting which was definetly the best part of the meal :) After dinner everyone kind of did their own things... a few of us went on a walk and just went exploring for a while which was nice because the weather had actually cooled off. Then when everyone got home we just talked and listened to music before bed :)

5 comments:

  1. you made my month!!! It was sooo sweet to talk with you today!!! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. you sure are keeping BUSY!!!
    All we're doing is work, sleep, eat, and soccer! Then more work, and so on.....

    It's getting pretty cold now.....
    was upper 20's low 30's for temp this am.

    Be glad you're enjoying the heat!!
    Love ya!
    Aunt DeDe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth-
    Alex wanted me to tell you he did a mile fun run with 90 other 4th grade boys. We were very proud of him coming in 29th place!!! I'll show you pictures when you get home.
    Aunt Dede

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you are doing all these different things while you are there.It is all part of the"WHOLE" LEARNIG PROCESS of Africa! Eygpt will be amazing! I am sooo happy for you!and proud of you! Looking back, when I was your age, I sure wasnt thinking about saving the world or traveling the world. You go glen quo-quo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HEY, we got your post card today! Stamp was so cool! Man is going to take it to school!

    ReplyDelete