Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Weekend :)

Friday- it rained all day! I had to carry all of my sex ed materials with me which included a ton of books and a huge flip chart all through the rain and on all the trotros it was quite a lot of work! I followed around the new English teacher for her classes and basically did nothing. The sex ed talk that was spose to happen didnt because a lot of the students were on a field trip that the headmistress didnt even know about... ya i know right! Ab had come to help with the talk but since it didnt happen we went back to the streetwise office and worked some more on the grant proposal until about 5. Then we caught a movie at the mall (The Taking of Pelham 123 with Denzel and Travolta) it was pretty good actually. We ate sugar kettle corn omg it was sooooo good :) After the movie we went to go visit Ezra (another intern) because he has malaria... it doesnt look like much fun at all! Then I was dropped off at home and chilled with the roomies for a while before heading off to bed.
Saturday- I had to wake up really early because ABs mom invited me over for a cooking lesson (Ezra couldnt go bc he was still sick)... so I hopped a trotro at like 7am to a place called circle. Then i went on a thing called a space bus- its like an awkward huge metal spaceage looking death trap bus all the way to Abs house. When I got there we went to the market and got all of the ingredients, then went back to start cooking. Ab lives with his mom and his auntie and neice, they all had the music blasting early in the am and sang and danced all around the house it was so much fun! We made a vegetable rice sauce with tomatoes, cabbage, carrots, onions, and green beans- a ton of spices like chili powder and veggie cubes... and we also made a spicy yam soup which was really amazing... we poured everything on top of jolof rice and ate - its was soooo delicious, im pretty sure that I'm beginning to love cooking especially with all fresh stuff and making everything from scratch! :) Im really going to miss stepping outside our gate and having fresh fruits and veggies and basically everything else we could ever need right on the street- driving to a store is going to seem like such a chore lol. Anyway after eating some of Abs friends came over and we all watched the Black Stars vs Uzbekistan game (Ghana won 2-1) oooooh ooooooh :) then we went to a play on campus called pepper soup that was put on by the drama department. It was a great time and a really funny play :) Before calling it a night a couple of us went out for icecream- it seemed like the longest day of my life lol.
Sunday- CIEE is a study abroad program where the students from the U.S. live on campus and take classes at the university. The director of the CIEE program is Abs supervisor. I met him like a week ago and he invited me to come play in the CIEE olympics on Sunday. I was on team Explorer lol... i met a ton of fun new people and made some friends. We played football, 3 legged races, sack races, marathons, lime and spoon race, and some traditional Ghanian games. I'm not sure which team won because the score keeping was corrupt lol... but it was a total blast! They provided water and bisquits (they tasted like cornbread banana bread) for dinner which was pretty nice and we also all got FanYogo :P Im going to class now so I'll update more later!

1 comment:

  1. I get the feeling from all your blogs that food, music & dancing is the core of Africa....lol, I love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete