Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Update! TWO WEEKS LEFT WOOOHOOOOOO

The past week was pretty interesting. There have been a ton of power outages… more than the usual one a day… it makes the heat unbearable because the fans don’t work. The heat has been CRAZY… I take like 4 showers a day just to cool down. Mosquitoes have been worse that usual too… but I think that’s just because we are forced to leave all the doors open for airflow in the house. Thanksgiving was quite interesting because we tried to cook a 5 course meal for 30 people in a short amount of time with a dinky stove and no normal tools. I now know that if I can make Thanksgiving dinner here I can definitely make it in the US no problem. The convenience of going to a store and it having all of the ingredients seems so crazy to me… just to get the ingredients to make green bean casserole took a couple of hours because we had to go to one place to get a pan, a few different places to get enough green beans, and everywhere to try and find cream of mushroom soup lol. Insane… let me tell you. And then there was the turkey crisis. The boys said that they found a store that had already cooked turkeys so we were just going to get one of those since it was almost impossible to cook one on our own with our little oven. A few hours before dinner the boys went to go get the turkey and they realized that it was actually like lunch meat in a box that they thought was shaped like a turkey… leave it to the boys to screw up thanksgiving. They got a frozen turkey… defrosted it in the microwave and cooked it at full heat in the oven for the three hours before out guests arrived. Apparently it turned out to all of our surprises lol… and everyone seemed to enjoy it. We had some fried veggies, a fruit bowl, green bean casserole, stuffing, turkey, gravy, garlic mashed potatoes, rolls, and apple pie. People chowed  I also found some ranch dressing which I have been searching for the entire time I have been here and have had no luck finding… so I also made myself a salad smothered in Ranch  People invited guests and friends from their internships and the Aya Center. We had about 30 people all together I think. Dinner was at 7, but everyone stayed really really late. One of the guys from the Aya center brought over all of his DJ equipment and blasted music the whole time and everyone danced, it was so much fun. We had all the kids make hand turkeys and pilgrim hats  I was really sad that I could not have Thanksgiving with my friends and family back home, but this was pretty ok.
That weekend we all made the trek to the cultural center. It’s like an art market where all the people go to sell their artwork. We toured there the first week that we were here but we weren’t allowed to buy anything, just look. It was really overwhelming then because all of the vendors were pulling at us and yelling obruni come buy from me. It wasn’t much different this time but it was less of a shock. I got to practice my bargaining skills which I am pretty impressed with- I got some good deals  My favorite quote that all of the vendors say is “Obruni… its nice to be nice” which basically means come buy my stuff for really expensive lol. Now we use that quote all the time at the house. The cultural center was pretty tiring so we all went home after a long day of shopping. Bringing back all of our stuff on the tro tro home was quite interesting. The tro tro home was also interesting because a preached decided that we would be his audience for the day and stood up in the front seat facing us and yelled bible verses in Twi the ENTIRE way home. I’m kind of used to this sort of thing by now, but this guy was kind of over the top.
We also went to a World AIDS day concert. Tom, a guy we live with, has spent his whole internship for the West African AIDS Foundation planning this one event. We got to meet a bunch of famous rappers and the whole event was a total blast! Everyone enjoyed themselves.
On Sunday I packed one of my suitcases with souvenirs to see how much room I had left lol… its sad that I am already packing… but I am SOOOOOOO excited to come home! I have two of my papers done, my twi test done, and my presentation done… so now I only have one more exam and a paper to do. I also finished my internship on Monday!!!! I corrected exams from 7am to 4pm with no breaks but got them all finished and recorded. This upcoming weekend we are all planning on doing a little exploring and def going to a beach so that we can look tan when we come home  Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great job with the dinner and # of people!!
    Guess who gets to cook x-mas dinner????
    JUST KIDDING!!!

    YEAH! YEAH! ONLY 2 MORE WEEKS!!!!!!!!!

    Emily will start her countdown.
    (her countdown to Santa has already started!!)

    We love you Beth-- Take care these last 2 wks!
    Aunt DeDe

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH! you ca cook next thanksgiving dinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything looked good!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. enjoy these last 2 weeks!!!! The waterfall pics were amazing.

    ReplyDelete