Monday, August 24, 2009

Thursday night and Friday

Last night we walked to the night market. I bought some apples and ground nut (organic homeade peanut butter). When we returned home there was a seamstress at our haouse waiting for us. The teachers from the Aya Center set her up to come over and measure us and we got to pick out the design of our dresses and fabrics it was so much fun! I picked out a pink and gold fabric and for only 10 cedis which is like 7.50$ they will be done in a week! I also bought a bad that she made because the money belt that I brought does no work well and I needed something to carry around my camera in. The next morning we had a Twi lesson and then we went to Medina Market to learn how to bargain and to buy stuff for the cook that was coming over on Saturday to teach us how to make Ghanian dishes. We split into groups and each group had to have a male because while the women shop and bargain the men carry everything they buy lol :) On our list we had to buy some little peppers, some tomoatoes, some smoked salmon and fresh red snapper. Buying the fish was so gro, the smell was horrible and there were flies everywhere! PUKE IN MY MOUTH! They scaled the fish right in front of us and I got some scales on me... I dont ever want to buy meat again lol. It started pouring rain so we all hopped in a cab and headed home. We all sat around and played cards and waited for the dinner that we had at 7. We all got dressed up and hoppe cabs to Chez Afrique which is a bar/resturaunt owned by the wife of our program director. We had the most amazing food EVER! They made a seperate vegetarian dish just for me which was a tomoato sauce with carrots and green pepper and green beans and curry all over rice YUM! I washed it down with some fresh pineapple juice while we talked with the Aya Center staff. I had so much fun we laughed for hours! Then when dinner was over everyone was forced to dance to the live Highlife band that was playing. We danced and the place ended up being super crowded and everyone was dancing... I had a BLAST :) My face hurt from smilling and laughing so much! We all went home and totally passed out.

1 comment:

  1. Beth-- I'm with you on that fish stuff!!!
    Gross! Gross! Triple Gross!!!
    So glad you're finding things to eat. Can't wait to see the dress!
    Just curious-- what is drinking age in Africa?

    ReplyDelete