Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Monday

We all woke up at 6 to get ready for our first day at our internships. Gifty, a person from the Aya Center took me to mine. We took a trotro to Medina Market and then got off at Atomic Junction. Then we got on another trotro to Demo St. Johns and took that all the way to my internship at Streetwise. All together it took about an hour and a half to get there which is kind of a drag... When we got there I met my boss and a few other people in the office. Abbe explained to me that Streetwise is a program to get women and children off of the streets so that they dont go into the sex trade for money. They educate them and give them skills like cooking and sewing and computer/reading skills. I have to write a paper for Monday which is my first day on the job. They want me to research STDs in Ghana and the problems/solutions in dealing with them. The other part of my job is that Im going to be a teaching assistant at an elementary school and I'm going to organize reading clubs/programs for the kids. I'm so excited I can hardly wait! After we got back from our internship we had our 2nd to last Twi lesson and learned how to bargain in Twi so that people dont think we are sooo foreign and they are more willing to lower the price because since we are speaking their language they think we will know that they are trying to cheat us out of our money. After Twi a few of us hopped a trotro to go explore downtown and we walked around a few stores and ate at a really nice restuarunt. It was really touristy but still a lot of fun! Then we all headed home for the night. Then I worked for a little on my research because I want my paper to be amazing lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment