Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Monday and Tuesday

Monday and Tuesday teaching classes were very tiring. I had all of my english classes write speeches titled if I were the President of Ghana. When it came time to present none of the kids in the class would be quite and I had to get up like every minute and tell them to quite down. It got really really annoying. After 12 hours (2 days of 6 classes) of trying a ton of different things like making them copy the definition of respect out of the dictionary and making them put their heads down and switching seats and lecturing and being nice and being stern I finally had a mental breakdown in the last class... as I was lecturing the kids on how they are wasting my time and their classmates time and how their are kids selling things on the streets who would give anything to be in school and have an education like them and they took being in class for granted... I cried lol. In front of everyone it was so embarassing! and the headmistress found out and apologized for the children misbehaving. The problem is that the only form of discipline they respond to is being hit with a cane... and I cant do that. I refuse to even carry around a cane. So I need to figure out a way to get the kids to behave... wish me luck. The real teacher is supposed to be coming soon- I hope that I have the strength to get through this until then. Monday night we had to deal with a roommate situation... my roommate decided that she was going to start drinking at 10am- she was highly intoxicated by like 12... but in a happy fun way... then it got out of control at like 2. It was so embarassing... people from the Aya center were there and some people from another girls internship were all watching her as she made a fool out of herself. The downfall came at like 5 when she got irrationally emotional and started throwing stuff and screaming. It was completley horrible. So we all had to deal with that on Monday night. Some of the people cooked dinner... they made ground nut stew (peanut butter and tomato soup) which was ally good. While others tried to help the situation by calming the drunk woman down and trying to put her to bed it was INSANE! Finally I just left because I didnt want to deal with it anymore. I went to the internet cafe to finish some research and stayed there for like an hour and a half before going home and going to bed. Tuesday night was a bit more uneventful. After my internship I was emotionally stressed and exhausted so I went home to chill. I had 3 marriage proposals on the way home lol. Usually its about 1 a day so I must have been looking extra cute ;) Its really weird but Im kind of used to it now because it happens so often. Ghanaian men ask white women to marry them because they think they will take them back to America to live a better life. To save them grace we are supposed to say next time. I usually say that Im married - but then they cleverly reply that women are allowed to have more than one husband here so its pretty much a lost cause. After being home for a while a few of us went to get pizza because its buy one get one free tuesdays at the pizza place down the road. The line was about an hour and a half wait but it was worth it. I drowned my stress in pizza and washed it down with icecream lol! :) all better. Sorry that this entry seems a bit disjointed but I really dont feel like rereading it or organizing it so if you have questions or dont understand something let me know lol!

3 comments:

  1. Beth-- As I am reading this, I am very proud of you!!! Remember that!!!!
    (funny note? - you cried in class, I cried while reading this) BE STRONG!!!!!

    It's fun drowning stress in FOOD!!!
    Was it chocolate ice cream?
    And that ground nut stew sounds terrible-
    Was it really that good??

    As soon as you get back to the USA- you and Andy come to our house and we'll all go to PI'S to eat!!!!!
    Love you--- Be Strong!!!!!
    Aunt DeDe

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I coached soccer, I had a terrible time getting the kids to listen so this is what I did. I bought a bag of chocolates and would hand them out to who participated, listened, ect... just a suggestion. Love ya, miss ya

    Kris.............P.S. you're doing great, stay strong!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, just remember you cant change their whole way of life there in four weeks-- or even four years for that matter!!! Remember why you are there and just do what you do!!If even one of those kids walk away with one thing you have taught them , it will be all worth it! hey mite not realize it now, but someday they will remember that lady from the united states that taught them--- ----- so dont give up on those kids, it isnt their fault. Just keep on doing the best you can, and that is all you can ask of yourself-- I am so proud of you and what you are doing! Love and miss you, mom

    ReplyDelete