Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Tuesday- AHHHHH!

Sorry that this might sound like a lot of whining lol... because it is! Tuesday was pretty intense. Waking up at 5:15 in the a m is not my forte step one. but i have to be to the school at 7:30 and the trotros take about 1 1/2 hours to get there. I know how to get to my internship place fine but I had never tried to go straight from home to my school before... I only had some verbal directions- and most of you know me and my direction skills (or lacktherof). I took the first trotro to Legon. Then I was supposed to get on a trotro that was yelling Achimota... but what my boss didnt tell me is that I would have to go to the trotro station at legon and ask for one going to Achimota... not wait for one to drive by yelling Achimota- lesson learned. But anyway after like 15 minutes I started asking people around. A lady named Lillian said that she was going that way so she would help me. She paid for my trotro ride and took my number and now apparently we are best friends and she has called me four times already today... make that 5 lol??? Weird. Anyway so I got off that trotro at atomic junction which im familiar with. got off that trotro in a place Ive never heard before and then hopped a trotro to Achimota. At the Atchimota station I got on a trotro to ABC junction but when I got off I walked down the wrong street apparently because the school was no where in sight. After asking a few ppl and getting opposite directions I ended up calling a person at the Aya Center and telling her I was lost. She told me to give my cellphone to a cab driver and then she told him where I needed to go and he took me there. I got there at 7:45 so not bad at all I think lol. I was already exhausted and overwhelmed by this point and school hadnt even started yet. It was supposed to start on Tuesday but apparently not enough students or teachers showed up... (Ghana time lol) so mostly people were just cleaning and stuff. I was told to sit until they had something for me to do... they gave me some Christian magazines to read which actually had a lot about Obama in them... after 4 hours of sitting I walked over to the preschool and asked if I could play with the kids because I was bored lol. The kids were out of control! The teacher left me in charge for about an hour. I was a jungle gym for most of the time lol. We sang some songs and played duck duck goose but all in all they were heathens. THey hit bit and kicked eachother and me lol. They all chewed on rubberbands which I guess is acceptable here but scared me to death because I was so scared they were going to choke and got bit when I tried to take them away. Then the teacher came back and breastfed her baby while yelling at all the kids to sit down. Weird morning lol... really really weird. I was dirty and am still recovering from the battle wounds lol. Anyway- after that ordeal I sat in the building and asked people if they knew where I could get some water- it didnt come soon enough though because I passed out - just for a lil and while I was already sitting so it was no big deal. Then I finally drank some water and typed out some information for them on the computer before I finally got to take the 3 trotros home. I pretty much ate a ton because I was starving and then passed out lol. Yeah- hopefully it will be better from now on like when classes actually start. I'm going to be a teaching assistant for some english social studies and math courses I cant wait!

4 comments:

  1. Exciting first day huh??!!
    Brought another smile!
    Maybe you should take a granola bar with you every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am exhausted just from reading this! Make sure you are eating!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Word of advice> when a total stranger (even though they have helped you) asked for your number for no apparent reason then to stalk you, you might want to mix up a couple of numbers. lol Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. BETH!!! You better start taking supplies with you when you go! Water and food we can NOT have anymore of this passing out happening! <3 you!

    ReplyDelete