Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Monday

After my exhausting weekend I woke up to reality (my alarm clock) set for 5:00 am so that I could get to my school at 7:30. I got on all of the right trotros and didnt get lost this time YAY! When I got to the school I saw the headmistress and she informed me that the teacher that I was supposed to be the assistant to wasnt coming until the 15th of Setember so she asked me to handle her classes until then. Without having any time to prepare at all they put me in my first classroom at 8 and told me GO... no time to prepare-no instructions- no books. I was terrified and frustrated but I didnt want to look like a dork in front of 35 kids for an hour so I went around the room and asked them their names and what they wanted to be when they grew up. A lot answered doctor but a few wanted to be footballers, air hostresses (flight attendants), journalists, accountants, engineers, and actors. After that I asked them to write about their vacation holiday that they had just gotten back from so I could see how much English they actually knew since no one told me what level they were. I let them write until the end of class and then collected their papers. I found out that I had 6 English classes to teach that day so I pretty much just repeated the process in all the classes. At my lunch break I asked to see an English syllabus and they gave me a few books so I looked over those as I ate some plantain chips from the snack store at the school. After the day was done I truged home to plan my lessons for the next day. At home dinner was already being made by the monday group. They made homeade pancakes and hashbrowns that they cut tiny tiny shreds from potatoes. They also made omlettes but someone had a hard boiled egg here and found bones in it so I refuse to eat eggs at all lol. After dinner I pretty much passed out from exhaustion and I had to be up early to start it all over again on Tuesday.

3 comments:

  1. I got one thing to say about the crocodile photos: you got guts!!! Standing next to those crocs--- I don't know if I would!!
    I read all of these that you just posted, plus looked at all the photos, and Beth-- I hope you are soaking it all in!!! What a great opportunity for you to learn, do, experience, and whatever else can explain all this!!!
    We are all so proud of you for doing this!
    And I really like what you did w/ the students when you found out about the teacher not showing till the 15th-- very ingenious!!

    We all LOVE you Beth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow those pictures are breath-taking! I am just in awe! What an adventure you are having. Those are things you only read about in books!we love and miss you much mom and dad.Didnt you taste croc on vaca once? Watch out, it might be payback time! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle Dennis is here now and saw all your pictures! He says he is so proud of you anhe loves you!

    ReplyDelete