Thursday, September 10, 2009

Tuesday

Woke up and got ready for another day of teaching. All of the female teachers are required to wear a knee length skirt with a blouse or a knee length dress, and the men have to wear kahkis and a button up. So I got ready and headed on my trotros to the school. I didnt get lost now for two times in a row so I think I'll be fine for the rest of the semester hopefully lol. My phone stopped working and I havent had a chance to get it fixed so if I get lost it will be baaaaad. Anyway-I got to school on time for the morning assembly which is a morning prayer. All of the students line up and the teachers barck commands like about face and forward face like millitary style it was so weird.. but then the children sing good morning Jesus its a really pretty song. Two little boys were hitting eachother in the line so the teacher went over to them and hit them with a switch across their shins- i just stood there in shock. They offered to give me a switch for in my class but I declined. After that I taught a few english classes. In the syllabus that they gave me it said that drama was a form of english and my boss AB at Streetwise said that I will be starting a reading and drama club- so I taught them about drama. We went over all of the definitions and made up a play so they know how much work goes into it. After my lunch break I had to teach RME which is religious and moral education. Since they gave me no books and I had no idea what the classes were about... I had the kids break into groups and pretend that they were the President of Ghana- and make up three laws that would make Ghana a more religious and moral place. I have no idea what I'm going to teach the kids on Friday... I havent gotten that far in my life. I really don't like being a teacher I've decided. I don't like feeling resposible for childrens education- it freaks me out a little bit. I don't really feel qualified but I guess since I know english that qualifies me... I hope the real teacher gets here soon!! On my lunch break I talked to a few of the teachers who were complaining about how no one respects teachers in Africa... they have taught in many different African countries and its the same everywhere. Teachers dont make a lot of money here so parents and students do not give them any respect at all. Its really sad. After school my group prepared dinner that was going to be cooked the next night. We decided to make some stews- a beef one and a tomato one so we cut up all the veggies and everything. While we were in Cape Coast over the weekend we stopped at a stand on the side of the road to buy Keke. Apparently the town that we stopped in is known for making the best Keke... its like a tamale wrap made of maize?? and you're supposed to eat it with soup so thats what we decided dinner on Wednesday would be. After prepping a couple of us walked to a place where they serve icecream across from campus. We havent had dairy in FOREVER so it was really tasty, and its been quite hot so it cooled us off! After icecream we just walked around campus to see what was going on and picked up a couple of things from the night market. Then we headed home to do some reading for class and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment