Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Funeral Friday

Sorry if all of these blogs seem confusing and like im rambling but I just tried to type everything out so that I would remember it and Im so tired that I really don’t care lol. I called in to work on Friday so that I could attend my boss’s dad’s funeral. On the 2nd day of my internship, my boss AB told me that he was wearing all black because a person wears all black from the time a close family member dies until the person is buried. His dad died in mid July so he has been wearing black for a loooong time. He told me to be to the funeral at 10:30 am and a lady from the Aya center who had known him from college was going so she offered to go with me. It really wasn’t that far from my house so we hopped a cab to Abs dad’s house. When we got there they were carrying the casket into the hearse and then walking behind the car to the cemetery to bury him. We sat and waited at the house for everyone to return. There were a few kids there who knew AB that are in the CIEE program at the University (they are a bunch of American kids) so I hung out with them. The funeral was not traditional at all so it was basically like a funeral back home but more of a happy celebration. Abs dad had four wives so we left the main party to go to Abs mom’s house to eat with that whole side of the family. I got to meet all of Abs family and friends it was so much fun! After a while the CIEE kids had drank too much and asked to be taken home. I stayed with AB and hung out with him and his friends back at his dad’s house. We listened to a live high life band and I talked with his whole family it was soooo much fun. I ended up staying there until like 8 at night. It was so exhausting being out in the sun all day… so I came home and went straight to bed. I didn’t take any pictures because I didn’t know if it was acceptable to do so… but there was really not much to take a picture of anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment