Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Saturday and Sunday

Taryn's boss invited us all over for the night in Mallam to make beads and jewelry, so when I woke up Saturday morning I got ready for that adventure. The trip was about 2 hours long. As soon as we got there we started making jewelry... it was sooo much fun I forgot how much I loved to do it. We read some beading books and learned how to make some pretty complicated pieces. The lady who runs the place takes children out of stone quarrys (where kids break big stones into little stones) and then puts them through school. She has people make beaded jewelry and then sells them to raise money. At night we went out to get some food and then we ate it on her roof which was nice and had a great view. Then we watched a movie (i played beads instead) and then went to bed. I had to wake up at 5am to get back to the house by 7 in order to go to church with my boss. He said that it would help me with teaching so I told him that I would go. I got ready for church and he picked me up- the church that he took me to was catholic and he is the teacher of the little kids (like ages 2-7). He had to teach them the lesson of the day and compared it to their favorite cartoons and they all acted it out and he was really great at improvising and making up stuff on the spot (which im pretty sure is that skill that he wanted me to learn lol) I only went into the big church part to take communion. It seemed like any regular chruch back home... not much different. After church Tom (one of my roomates that came home with me from Mallam so that I didnt have to travel by myslef for two hours) and AB and two of his brothers went to a football game Kotoko V Hearts of Oak. We were rooting for the Hearts of Oak team but they lost 0-1. These are more local teams and they are divided by tribal ethnicity which is interesting. There are 5 main tribes in Ghana.. Ewe Akan Ga Asanti and Fante. My boss and his brothers are Gas and the Hearts of Oak team is the Ga team. For a snack we had something that looked like peanuts. I put one in my mouth and it was all soggy and mushy so I spit it out instantly thinking that it was rotten or something. Turns out that they are boiled... weird but interesting... they kind of taste like potatoes?? I dunno lol. I also tried a donut for the first time which taste kind of like sugary bread. After the game we all went out to eat at a Chinese place. Mine was actualy really good and I cant wait to eat the leftovers :) By the time we got home I was already 3/4 of the way asleep so I didnt fight it anymore and just went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment